Due Date: Friday, September 20- 6:30 p.m.
E-Read: "Between the Pool and the Gardenias" - VLN (links)
E-Read: "Eveline" - VLN (links)
E-Stream: James Joyce VLN
E-Stream: Foreshadowing and Flashback VLN
E-Link: Foreshadowing and Flashback PowerPoint VLN
E-Link: James Joyce VLN
E-Links: (2) Edwidge Danticat VLN
Portfolio & Assessments
E-Assignment:"Between the Pool and the Gardenias" questions - Erdman website
E-Assignment:"Eveline" questions - Erdman website
E-Assignment: Loss and Death Hyperbook - Erdman website - This is continuation through Mods 1-4.
E-Assignment: Discussion Board - Erdman Blog
Initial Post Due Date: Tuesday, September 17- 6:30 p.m.
Reply to a Post Due Date: Friday, September 20- 6:30 p.m.
E-Vocab: WOW 1 & 2 Review - VLN
E MC Quiz: "Between the Pool and the Gardenias" VLN
E MC Quiz: "Eveline" VLN
Test: Vocab WOW 1 & 2 - In class
Initial Post: In a well-organized response, discuss why “Eveline” by James Joyce is part of the Death and Loss unit. Be sure to use textual reference to support your ideas.
Response: Choose one student to respond to regarding his/her post.
Sign up under COMMENTS as to the day you want to come in for a College Essay Session.
Please note the following:
1. I will only allow 2 people to sign up per session. Therefore, make sure you look at the comments posts prior to signing up for YOUR session.
2. You MUST bring a working copy of a college essay with you. For help with this, see links below. The links will assist you with writing a rough copy. Do NOT send me a copy. You need to bring a HARD copy (already printed) in order to attend a session. (If you can bring 2 that would be handy, as well.) I will not print out essays the day of your session. That is your job to be prepared.
3. These are the only sessions I will be holding during school hours. If you (A) cannot make one of these or (B) need a second session, you will have to schedule an after-school session with me.
4. Be prepared to read your essay aloud. This is a great way to provide meaningful opportunity for revision.
5. You will need to look at applications for the colleges in which you will be applying to get the prompt for the essay.
The Common Application
DATES: all dates are during Block 4 - 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Monday, Sept. 23 - CLOSED
Tuesday, Sept. 24
Wednesday, Sept. 25
Thursday, Sept. 26
College Essay Organizer
10 Tips for Writing the Essay
Dos and Don'ts for Writing the Essay
This class blog is designed for students enrolled in the English 12 online course at Freedom High School.